Tuesday 13 November 2012



Circular Time and Predetermination


Yesterday I was asked by email if circular time has a relationship to predetermination.

I guess this is a tricky question.   Although it looks radical, my understanding of circular time is based as much on mathematics as on interpretation of ancient concepts.  

I could look at this issue this way.   Once the circle is commenced, its closing is inevitable.   As the value of the curve is determined, then the closing point can be determined.   Until a circle has commenced, there is no predetermination.    By definition, as soon as a circle is started, there is predetermination.   What will/has happened at the closing of the circle can be seen as the ‘now’, but only at the time the circle has begun.

I am proposing that our entire existence is circular – endless circles, each existing within a larger circle.   As each circle commences a glimpse of its ending is available.  

We think we exist within a linear timeframe.   I would suggest that our minds are conditioned to think of time as being linear making it difficult to grasp the concept of circular.

No comments:

Post a Comment